Yields 3 -5 servings
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas (1-28oz can)
- ¼ cup red onion, minced
- ¼ cup celery, minced
- ¼ cup pickles, minced
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, minced
- 2 tbsp dulse or nori seaweed flakes
- ½ tablespoon kelp powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
- ½ tsp sea salt (or to taste)
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise or cashew mayonnaise
For this recipe, you will need one 28-ounce can of chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans) or two smaller cans. Alternatively, you can cook your own, which is even better.
If using canned, drain and place into a large bowl. Using a pastry cutter, potato masher or a fork, mash the chickpeas to break them up.
Next, finely dice the onion, celery and pickle and add them to the chickpeas. Add the dulse flakes, parsley, kelp powder, salt and pepper and mix to combine.
*NOTE: If you do not have dulse or nori flakes, you can grind up one or two sheets of nori (the kind used to make sushi) in a spice grinder. The mineral-rich nori adds a nice “from the sea” flavor and look to the mixture.
Lastly, add the vegan mayonnaise or cashew mayonnaise. Mix to combine and taste for seasoning
*Adapted from a Rouxbe Recipe: (rouxbe.com)